Dream of the Month (January 2011)
- Title: Assault In The Elevator
- Date of the Dream: 2010 (mailed Sunday, 26 December 2010)
- Dream: I get into an elevator and just before the door closes; a dark woman slips into the elevator with me. She asks me to hit the button for the 5th floor, which is the same floor I wish to go to. But she is very distressed and afraid that the elevator will malfunction and not go there. She is praying out loud "Please, please let the elevator just go to the fifth floor the way it is supposed to!" I get scared by how scared she is, and the elevator does start to get weird. It is going to the eleventh floor and there is no eleventh floor in this building. I am terrified that the elevator will start to tilt, and dump us out into space. The dark woman comes close to me in an intimate way. I think perhaps she is going to kiss me and that I should allow it, because one should not reject intimacy. Instead, she starts to strangle me, just as the door of the elevator opens. I don't know what floor we are on, and I don't know if I should allow her to strangle me or not, as this seems like an erotic intimacy, or even if it is now too late to make any choices whatsoever. I wake up with a start.
- Significant life event: I had Christmas with my family and then went home and had a Christmas celebration with my friend and my husband.
- Personal concerns/issues: Christmas is always full of too many feelings, some good and some very painful.
- Associations: I am an artist. My studio is on the fifth floor of the building. Actually it is above the 5th floor, but the elevator only goes to the fifth floor. My studio is actually in the elevator shaft in a unique configuration that is hard to explain, but it is connected to the room that houses the elevator gears. The studio has two levels, so in one way of thinking about it, I am on the 6th and 7th floor of a 5 story building. Another association I have with the fifth level is that of the 5th chakra, which is associated with the throat and with speaking one's own truth. I often do not think that it is safe to speak one's own truth.
- Category: Nightmare
- Pen Name: artist
Dr. Holloway's Comments:
Striking Characteristics: Elevator misadventures can reflect the way default emotional settings impact our current trajectory.
We plot our course with reason, yet unconscious fears jolt us into bizarre detours. The dream malfunctions of elevators are diverse and legendary: this one runs amok by going too high. Often this is a picture of anxiety triggered by progress, success and self-expression, and a wariness of how others will react. Why do “good” things make us anxious? Success triggers underground anxiety when self-expression and progress are connected to breaking a taboo, or cause us to step on the trip-wire causing the paralysis of an emotional superstition, (something that is not true, but feels true, so that we dare not move further). We never suspect we have underground fences until we inadvertently cross them and get a shock. Achievement, candid speech, public recognition, finishing your education, making real money, all can trigger a tailspin of disorientation, bewildering because it is so illogical and unexpected. (This is one of the roots of the widespread fear of public speaking—the spotlight, and the voice are forbidden.) This dream also hints at an emotional superstition, that intimacy and authenticity are at opposite ends of the spectrum, and one must hedge bets accordingly. This complex encounter with a dark stranger, at once intimate, threatening, seductive and strangling illustrates the hypnotic power of underground taboos. However, when this package deal swims to the surface in a dream, it comes with a guarantee that the dreamer possesses the wisdom, precision and compassion to unravel her own knots and to enjoy a new and different kind of ease in her life. Dreams do not come merely to point out problems, but to signal this is an excellent time to embrace solutions.