Dream of the Month (July 2009)
- Title: Refused Gifts And Walking In A Stream
- Date of the Dream: 2009 (mailed Monday, 15 June 2009)
- Dream: I am in charge in a Goodwill Store. A man explains there is an old woman dropping off a donation. She has brought seven shiny gold and silver musical instruments. I tell her she has to take these instruments home again, as no one ever buys the gifts she brings us; no one realizes their value. She is angry that we rejected her donation and we return them to the trunk of her car.
Having helped her, the man and I remain outside and step into a nearby stream. At first I am walking on the water, afraid to step into it because it seems dark and unclear. Then the sun shines, illuminating the water, and it is only ankle deep. I have been afraid for no reason. There are two giant red-orange goldfish on the stream's bottom. I assumed they were dead, but now see they are clearly alive and the entire stream has goldfish in it. I hear the Aerosmith song, “Dream On” playing loudly, and sing along. I see double doors just up ahead. I fling them open and sing loudly as I enter. I spot the man behind me dragging a red canoe or a sled. I go to help him.
- Significant life event: Lost my job in December and still have not found employment.
- Personal concerns/issues: I am wondering when I will find the next chapter in my life.
- Associations: I think I was being shown my fears of walking through the unknown at this time.
- Category: Recurring
- Pen Name: Boondean
Dr. Holloway's Comments:
Striking Characteristics: The theme of valuables ignored is a reminder to honor the special things you have to offer in life.
This dream shows three examples of valuable gifts: the rejected instruments, the dark stream, and the beautiful fish that are really alive.
There are strong hints here about precious inner gifts being ignored. Of course the dreamer is the instrument: and the expressive gifts she has are precious (gold and silver). There is something she has offered or wanted to share that has been repeatedly ignored: perhaps by others, certainly by herself.
It is possible she has evaded the pain of unexpressed gifts by focusing on doing good (walking on water), but she really longs to get into the stream of life in a different way. Her faith and her gifts are not dead; they are alive! Even the fish in the stream are bright colored and beautiful. Self-acceptance and faith expressed form a two-way street: (double doors). You discover your truth in a deeper way, and the world is uplifted, directly or indirectly, because you have made a joyful noise. Every time you honor your talents and your voice, others who have been dragging theirs behind them are supported, regardless of whether you win applause or simply share your inner gold.