Dream of the Month (September 2007)
- Title: Vegetarian Orders Choicest Cut Of The Steak
- Date of the Dream: 7/24/2007 (mailed Wednesday, 1 August 2007)
- Dream: I am entering an exclusive restaurant with a small group of distinguished scholars. They are affluent and although I am hard up financially, I feel comfortable and accepted by them. At this restaurant we pay as we enter. The man taking our money at the front counter is a butcher dressed in white. The meal I have ordered is $99.00. I am shocked it's so expensive: the most expensive item on the menu. He explains I have ordered the very choicest cut of steak. I have all my money in silver change in a small tapestry change purse. Do I have enough? If I have, I will blow it all on the meal and make the occasion really special. I will be hard up later, but it will be worth it. I have trouble counting the change and the man beside me helps. I ask him to figure out the tip as well and include it, and he does so.
- Significant life event: For the past five years my daughter has been living with an abusive man who is a criminal. We have begged her to leave him and to get treatment for her substance abuse problem. We have prayed for him to get arrested and go to jail so she will be forced to separate her life from his. Before the dream I learned that at last the police had caught up to him and that he will most likely be jailed for some time.
- Personal concerns/issues: I have been agonizing about my daughter's situation for years and have been more and more stressed out as her situation got worse. I have known the police would eventually catch her partner and hoped she would be able to extricate herself.
- Associations: Because I had to pay up front for a meal it is ordinarily against my principles to eat, and because a "butcher" was collecting the money I think I have decided to celebrate the arrest and downfall of this man who has been trying to destroy my beautiful talented daughter in spite of my belief we must have compassion for our enemies. I am changing the rules (paying in change) at least temporarily. I will suffer some privation afterwards for it because my daughter will distance herself from us knowing her family are glad her partner got caught and jailed.
- Category: Anomalous
- Pen Name: irislake
Dr. Holloway's Comments:
Dr. Holloway’s Comments
Striking Characteristics: Menu items sometimes reflect the process of sorting, and making choices. We weigh what we want, gauge the cost and value and make our decisions.
This dream is almost certainly touching upon a choice wisely made, costly, yet worthwhile. The dreamer respects her dietary choices, yet suspends them for this occasion. When a spiritual person embraces a different kind of power, justice or authority in a specific circumstance, this may be reflected in a dream of choosing and relishing a meal of meat. The price of the meal: 99 dollars, may symbolize a threshold, since the next number is 100, often symbolic of wholeness and the completion of a cycle. Certainly paying in “change” is a beautiful symbol of growth and leaping into the future. Life always exacts the price of moving forward by requiring “change.” This is something we cannot do for others, but by embracing our personal dance with change, we make a spiritual offering that does help open windows of possibility for those we love, and perhaps, for everyone.