Dream of the Month (May 2007)
- Title: Looking After The Baby
- Date of the Dream: 4/19/2007 (mailed Sunday, 22 April 2007)
- Dream: I am organizing some sort of event for a famous author. She needs to concentrate, and so I am left to look after her baby. I am walking down the street with the baby, which is small and naked, when I am approached by a huge white dog. The dog is taller than me and although it doesn't look savage, I am frightened by it; I am afraid it is going to take the baby. I shout at it to go away, but it doesn't. I turn around and around to protect the baby. I shout out for help, but my voice is paralyzed.
- Significant life event: I was kissed by a man I have admired for a long time last week. ie several days before the dream. other than that, nothing significant. I truly love his man, but it is a fragile beginning.
- Personal concerns/issues: I was kissed by a man I have admired for a long time last week. ie several days before the dream. other than that, nothing significant. I truly love his man, but it is a fragile beginning.
- Associations: I have been interested in marrma sheep dogs lately. A local dog was protecting endangred penguins from foxes.
- Category: Recurring
- Pen Name: Christina Buckland
Dr. Holloway's Comments:
Striking Characteristics: Themes of protecting infants and children may represent the need to prioritize an aspect of life that is heartfelt, but which has been neglected or even endangered by other activities.
This theme is somewhat prevalent among contemporary women. The baby often represents an idea, or a deep love for something, which has come to life and needs to be protected from the harsh criticism or “logical” skepticism of the dreamer’s environment. In the early stages of birthing an idea or an ambition, it is necessary to be somewhat protective, and not to let naysayers rip it to shreds. This dream suggests that external approval (the famous author) and criticism (the giant dog) are constricting something precious (the baby), which requires devoted nurturance in order to thrive. From deep in the psyche, the dream says: Let it live, protect it, give it credence and support in these early days. Give it time and support and see what this baby becomes.