Dream of the Month (October 2006)
- Title: My Glorious Dog
- Date of the Dream: 9/17/2006 (mailed Monday, 25 September 2006)
- Dream: I am in a place that is full of small dogs. They're all mutts: scraggly and ugly, and I don't really like them. My point of view is close to the ground, as if I were at their level, visually. Another dog comes in: my dog. It's a basset hound, and I'm enraptured with it. The dog seems so powerful and impressive to me; original ("not like all the other dogs"), and I love it immediately. I'm so thankful that my dog is so much better than the others.
- Significant life event: I am pregnant and am really starting to "show" now.
- Personal concerns/issues: I'm feeling a little stressed about my relationship with my husband. He seems to get upset over such little things and doesn't know how to communicate frustration without being rude to me.
- Associations: I'm not sure if this was a confirmation about the things that I love about myself, or the things I love about my husband (this was clearly "my dog," and I thought about it the way I might think at my husband when I'm particularly proud of him.)
- Category: None Apply
- Pen Name: Dreamer
Dr. Holloway's Comments:
Striking Characteristics: When pets are evaluated and assessed, particularly dogs, this may symbolize another loved one.
For whatever reason, the dreams of women are particularly laden with dogs and puppies. Women who are looking for a new man will, in fact, sometimes dream of going to select a new puppy.
In this case, the dreamer seems to be contrasting the things she loves about her very own dog with the scruffy characteristics of “strange dogs.” Her own is revealed as being just right for her, loveable and impressive. It is likely this dream is reminding her of the intangible qualities she loves most about her mate, and, because we have no defense against our love for pets, it places her squarely back into the truth of her own heart. Her love is perfect for her, and she would not trade it for any other.