Dream of the Month (March 2005)
- Title: Riding On The Tractor
- Date of the Dream: 2/28/2005 (mailed Monday, 28 February 2005)
- Dream: I'm riding on the front of a big tractor (like a John Deere). It is a tarnished, goldenish color. We are on a highway with flat terrain, surrounded by purple foothills - as seen in the Southwest. The tractor is being driven by my middle son, (although I don't ever see him). We are driving fairly fast and come upon a donkey in the road. It is in the left hand lane and we are behind it. I tell my son it is OK to pass the donkey rather than staying behind it. As we try to pass on the right side, the donkey speeds up, running really fast.
We finally pass it, but then encounter a chicken in the right lane. It starts to run very fast and we are then chasing the chicken. I tell my son to be careful to not get too close to the right side of the road, because the shoulder falls off very steeply. This is a change, as we started out on flat road without a drop-off. We are going very fast and as I am watching that we don't go over the side, suddenly the road ends and the chicken goes over the edge. Then the tractor and I go over the edge too. I still don't see my son. The road has obviously gone higher and higher until when we go over the edge we are high in the air and inevitably headed for a very long fall. Although I don’t get close to the end of the fall as it is far to the ground, I think to myself, "well, I never saw that coming," and awake with a sinking feeling in my stomach.
- Significant life event: I've been expanding my office, based on inner feelings, rather than sufficient clientele to support this expansion.
- Personal concerns/issues: My husband has a terminal illness, although he's in remission and looks and feels great. Also, I was planning on talking with a Shaman about discontinuing my apprenticeship with him. I've attended several workshops but the info presented there is a more elementary level than my background. I find myself impatient with what he's teaching me although feel he could ultimately have much I could learn.
- Associations: Usually my dreams have easily identifiable messages but I can't quite get this one. The obvious to me is that I'm looking so closely at something going on that I don't see the results down the road. But, what?
- Category: Psychic Experience
- Pen Name: Wallace
Dr. Holloway's Comments:
Striking Characteristics: The vehicles of our dream travels often mirror our attempts to avoid troubles and approach goals.
This dream journey highlights three challenges to navigating through current circumstances. First, the tractor is a vehicle intended for agricultural purposes: it represents the ability to be fertile in relationship with the environment, to tend one’s metaphorical crops, harvesting successfully. This vehicle (way) isn’t built for competition, agility or racing in the passing lane to get a clear shot at your destination.
Second, racing with stubbornness (the donkey) and fear (the chicken), is so distracting it can have negative results. We can’t outdistance these factors, they are always part of every trip we take; either cropping up in ourselves, or being mirrored by others.
Third, the edge is approached without conscious awareness. In order to go beyond a psychological “edge” the dreamer is navigating past some very real hazards. Facing an edge always feels like facing death, and it’s hard to gauge whether we’re courting disaster or transcending old material. This scene suggests that taking the “high road” is pushing some buttons, but that the dreamer is more than equal to the challenge she’s set for herself – at the point when most of us would faint, she becomes more aware than ever before!