Dream of the Month (January 1999)
- Title: Undrawn Tattoo Leads To A White Beard
- Date of the Dream: 12/9/1998 (mailed Thursday, 10 December 1998)
I went to a young woman to draw a tatoo on my hand. I donít know where this was, but I recall carefree young people there. The young woman tatoo artist was calm, carefree and confident. As she started to prepare and held my hand out, I realized that I wasnít sure why I was doing this, and I told her I needed to think about it. She recommended getting a small, delicate tatoo. I agreed, but wanted to wait to find exactly the right one.
She instructed me to go upstairs to sleep. She mentioned something to me about being psychic, and said something about a close family member in a positive way. I hadnít been paying attention, and when I asked her to clarify this comment she shrugged it off with a laugh.
I went upstairs and went into a room where a man was sleeping. This annoyed me, because I felt he was sleeping in my bed. I went back downstairs and the young woman told me into the room with the white beard on the bed. I went back upstairs and walked into a the room which did, indeed have a white beard on the bed. I had a sense of peace, comfort and spirituality.
- Significant life event: Started an unexpected job search and career analysis.
- Personal concerns/issues: Financial security and personal satisfaction in job environment.
- Associations: I am a creative person and I think the young artist holding my hand is telling me to follow my creative urges and trust myself. The uncertainty of going through with the tattoo I think indicates my lack of commitment in my current role. At a loss in figuring out the white beard.
- Pen Name: Indecisive Artist
Dr. Holloway's Comments:
Tattoos are emblems of freedom and authority over your identify. Hands often reflect autonomy and professional focus.
This dream is about discovering the self, defining what is most important and valuable in life and then making choices about how these discoveries will be acted upon. Regardless of whether a tattoo would realistically be chosen in waking life, when it is explored in a dream the individual is doing some serious work in the realms of independence and personal authority. This dreamer is both courageous and discriminating. She wants to be in control of her choices and to select the path that is right for her, rather than careen over to a road simply because it is different from the one sheís been traveling. This dream also provides an intriguing clue. Something rather old (as suggested by the white beard) holds the key to the discovery of her next move. She will do well to consider family heritage, personal preferences that date back to childhood and even old-fashioned crafts or practices that seem magical to her.