Dream of the Month (May 1996)
- Title: Change and Restoration
- Date of the Dream: February 1996
- Dream: I am in a room with brightly colored wallpaper, (flowered). There is a young girl in the room that captures my attention. I go over to her and pull on her head to make her taller, and she becomes a head taller. After I realize that I caused her to grow taller I decide to put her back the way I found her, which then happens.
Then I go out to some body of water and start swimming around on top and under the water. Shortly after that I awaken. During
the dream I was very aware that it was a dream and was impressed with the brightness of colors. The dream was a good experience
and I felt that I had power to do things, and that I was exploring that power.
- Significant life event: I was visiting my son-in-laws dying father in the hospital.
- Personal concerns/issues: The dying man wanted to have his life support system cut off. He had an incurable disease. I encouraged my son-in-law to listen to his father's request. Also my daughter was in the process of leaving her husband to go and live with a girlfriend.
- Associations: The conclusion I came to at the time was to try to be encouraging to my son-in-law to make peace with his father's wishes. Also to love and not influence the rift and separation of my daughter and son-in-law, although it was a disappointment to have their marriage break up.
- Category: Anomalous
- Pen Name: Anonymous
Dr. Holloway's Comments:
This is a marvelous dream about the blossoming wisdom and power that sometimes becomes most noticeable against a backdrop of turmoil and change. The dream appears to reflect your recognition of the influence you could exert on your daughter's thinking (by pulling on her head and making her taller). It also depicts your decision to support her by letting her make her own decision in her own way, (you put her back the way you found her.) Swimming
in a body of water is a common dream image that suggests the ability to refresh and renew oneself, sometimes by returning to the source
of your own serenity. For some this means a dipping into the well of spiritual faith, for others it is the ability to connect with an inner core of strength and peace. Brilliant and beautiful colors often coincide with clarity of emotional understanding; the ability to feel deeply and yet remain clear and unafraid in the midst of profound feelings.